NC Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP)
The North Carolina Senior Medicare Patrol (NCSMP) Program is housed within the Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) at the North Carolina Department of Insurance. NCSMP is a preventive educational program whose goal is to reduce Medicare/Medicaid error, fraud, and abuse through statewide coordinated efforts of educational and promotional activities and to encourage reporting of discrepancies by Medicare/Medicaid beneficiaries and caregivers to the NCSMP Program. NCSMP’s purpose is to educate Medicare/Medicaid beneficiaries and caregivers about Medicare/Medicaid benefits in order to understand Medicare Statements such as Medicare Summary Notices, Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan (PDP), Explanations of Benefits (EOB), and other related health care statements. Through this knowledge, a person can identify, resolve, and/or report possible billing errors, fraud, abuse, and waste to NCSMP.
- to review your Medicare Statements.
- to protect your Medicare Number.
- to not be influenced by advertisements for services, medications, or products that sound “too good to be true.”
- to educate yourself about your Medicare benefits.
- that rarely are Medicare services “free.”
- that Medicare does not solicit door-to-door.
What is Medicare Fraud and Abuse?
SHIIP Extra Help